50 Mesmerizing Marijuana Facts You Need to Know
What marijuana does to your body, what is a budtender, and which ruler specifically grew marijuana for palace parties – you are going to find out all that and much more in our list of incredible marijuana facts.
What we’ll provide you with are some interesting facts on all the serious and fun things related to this intriguing plant species. Marijuana is a cure, a drug, and a booming business, all wrapped into one, which is pretty amazing on its own.
Therefore, get ready to raise your eyebrows, and keep them in that position throughout the text.
Top 10 Positive Facts About Marijuana
Here is a short list of marijuana facts, good ones to start with, which underline the benefits marijuana has for our body and mind, and the main reasons why the majority of Americans would vote in favor of marijuana legalization:
1. It’s a great chronic pain reliever
2. It reduces nausea
3. It may have the substance for battling cancer cells
4. It helps with stress, anxiety, and PTSD
5. It may prevent Alzheimer’s
6. It can prevent glaucoma
7. It controls epileptic seizures
8. It decreases symptoms of Dravet’s syndrome
9. It boosts appetite
10. It helps with neuropathic pain
With more research being conducted surrounding marijuana, it will most likely be legalized in all states under federal law. Until then, we will have to wait.
Top 10 Negative Facts About Marijuana
Despite its excellent qualities, marijuana still exhibits some adverse effects on our health. Depending on the type of use, it can cause:
11. Memory loss (short-term memory)
12. Impaired vision and movement
13. Mild addiction
14. Paranoia and psychosis (in high doses)
15. Altered judgment
16. Poor decision making
17. Slow reactions
18. Bronchitis symptoms
19. Worrying effects on the teenage brain
20. Adverse effects during pregnancy
Marijuana during pregnancy facts build a strong case against marijuana usage in this period, as the consumption can harm the baby. Teenagers endure serious consequences, too, so marijuana must not be used until one is old enough to do so.
Historical Marijuana Facts
21. Marijuana is about 8,000 years old.
(Advanced Holistic Health) (Live Science)
At first, marijuana wasn’t used to get high. Its seeds and oil were used for food in China. One of the most popular stories is about how a Chinese emperor Shen Nung used marijuana as medicine in 2737 BCE.
However, his name does not match any of the Chinese emperors, not to mention that the first Chinese emperor was born around 260 BCE, so this completely breaks marijuana myths and facts about its origin. The first emperor was born more than 2,000 years later. Remember, it’s BCE, not AD we are talking about.
22. Americans didn’t use the term “marijuana” until the late 19th century.
It was only at the end of the 19th century that Americans started to pronounce the Mexican Spanish marihuana or mariguana in their own way. By the way, it was also associated with a personal name – Maria Juana. Sounds familiar? Yes, Mary Jane is its English cousin.
23. One of the most noteworthy marijuana drug facts is that the concentration of THC in cannabis today is 5 times greater than in the 1970s and 80s.
If you have been a regular marijuana user for decades, you have probably wondered if it’s just you, or marijuana strains have become stronger. The truth is, they have. Back in the day marijuana would far less get you “high” as it contained less than 5% THC. Nowadays, however, you can find samples with over 25% THC.
24. Marijuana was known and sold by the name “Indian Cigarette.”
“Indian cigarette” was advertised as an aid for respiratory conditions, though it was rather poisonous due to additions to cannabis resin (potassium nitrate and nightshade). Also, the very first mention of marijuana rolled in a piece of paper was in 1856.
25. Not so well-known cannabis fun facts: British queens loved marijuana.
(Underknown) (BBC News)
Whereas Queen Victoria had it prescribed for her menstrual pains, Queen Elizabeth I used it an excellent party starter. The ruler liked to offer her guests with it and even issued a law by which a farmer was legally obliged to plant some marijuana on their land.
As for Queen Elizabeth II, there is no official data, but her grandson, Prince Harry, had some experience with smoking marijuana and was sent to a drugs clinic in 2002.
26. So far, marijuana legalization facts include only Uruguay and Canada as the two countries where recreational marijuana is fully legalized.
Uruguay was the very first country to legalize marijuana in 2013. Canada had medical marijuana legalized since 2001, but it took them 17 years to make recreational use legal as well.
27. Vanity Fair used to advertise hashish candies as harmless remedies.
The 1862 commercial said it was a pleasurable remedy against anxiety and melancholy. For a long time, marijuana was considered legal medicine in the US and was even added to the US Pharmacopeia. It was only at the beginning of the 20th century that states started to ban it.
Interesting Medical Marijuana Facts
28. 8 out of 10 doctors agreed medical marijuana should be legalized due to its benefits.
In 2014, doctors from 48 states participated in the survey and vouched for medical marijuana benefits having analyzed health pros and cons of marijuana.
29. Marijuana is the world’s first anesthetic.
Historical facts about cannabis tell us the story of a Chinese surgeon who used a marijuana mixture to relieve the pain during surgery. As a matter of fact, the Chinese word for anesthesia is mazui, which means “marijuana intoxication.”
30. Medical marijuana is legal in 33 states.
It’s been a while since marijuana’s positive effects can no longer be denied, such as reducing (chronic) pain and helping with anxiety, seizures, and depression, to say the least.
31. Facts about medical marijuana revenues report the sales of an astounding $4.5 billion in 2018.
And by 2022, they will grow to $7.3 billion. It seems only the sky’s the limit. As we have already mentioned, the advantages are becoming more recognized and the word of mouth definitely has something to do with it.
32. Medical marijuana is challenging to study properly because marijuana is still considered a dangerous drug.
(Harvard Health Publishing)
As a Schedule 1 drug and having the same treatment as heroin and LSD, it is hard for scientists to get permission to do proper research, thus making the process of accepting marijuana longer.
33. One of the most important marijuana facts: Epidiolex is the only FDA approved medicine which is derived from marijuana.
(Medical News Today)
The two conditions this new drug will treat—Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome—are both rare and severe types of childhood-onset epilepsy. Even worse, the disease may result in the early death of the child.
34. You could be allergic to marijuana without knowing it.
As one of the most important and interesting facts about marijuana, due to its (il)legal status, it’s difficult to determine what percentage of the population is allergic to it. The symptoms are similar to any other allergies: sneezing, watery eyes, nasal running. What is more, sometimes barely touching the plant causes an allergic reaction on the skin.
Other Marijuana Fun Facts
35. Jesus used marijuana to cure the ill.
Marijuana is mentioned in the Talmud, as well as the Bible. According to some scholars, there is even a proper marijuana oil recipe in Exodus 30: 22-25. We suggest you try it out. How’s that for fun facts about marijuana!
36. Pot is short for potagaya. It’s not a dish, but a type of wine or brandy.
Americans started using the term in the late 1930s when they learned about potagaya or potiguaya, i.e., potación de guaya (“the drink of grief”). It is basically an alcoholic drink in which marijuana buds were steeped.
37. Marijuana vs alcohol facts show Millennials tend to drink less beer when they use marijuana.
Compared to how much is spent on one night of drinking alcohol and the amount of money spent on marijuana per month, using marijuana is much cheaper. It offers an interesting new experience, too, and Millennials are all about new and exciting events. Also, there is no hangover the next morning.
38. Columbus took marijuana seeds to the New World.
The idea was that should they get shipwrecked, some marijuana had to be planted. Another one from the historical marijuana interesting facts list is the one about the first US president, who was also a huge fan of the plant and had it planted in the garden.
39. In 2009, a man has set the world record in smoking the greatest number of marijuana joints – 115,000.
This achievement was not done by an enthusiast, though. The stockbroker, Irvin Rosenfeld, who has smoked 115,000 joints in 28 years, which means he smoked 10 to 12 joints every single day, did so because of his illness. These are very interesting medicinal marijuana facts which could be used as a case for legalization, especially since his supplier is the government itself.
The total number of joints is even higher today, as Irv continues to use his therapy against a form of bone cancer.
40. The most expensive joint was shaped like an elephant tusk and cost $24,000.
Perfectly appropriate for the occasion (collecting funds for the African Wildlife Foundation), the joint was shaped by Weavers, a rolling expert. Rolling a 1.5 pounds and 30 inches long joint took two weeks and the paper used was made of 24-karat gold.
41. Legal facts on marijuana: the shortest jury deliberation in history was about marijuana usage.
(Guinness World Record)
In 2004, the New Zealand jury took one whole minute to deliberate. 60 seconds was sufficient for them to agree Nicholas Clive McAllister should be a free man and there is not enough evidence 23 marijuana plants on his land were planted by himself. The accused ran and hid from the police when they saw him, but this was not good enough proof for the jury.
42. The biggest weed farm is located in Alberta, Canada (30 acres).
As one of the most incredible agricultural cannabis facts – a greenhouse beyond everyone’s imagination (800,000-square-foot) is extremely productive, too. Aurora Sky is estimated to be making over 17,000 pounds of weed at the moment.
43. Bazooka Blunt was the largest joint-blunt ever made.
It was inspired by a rocket launcher but resembled a golden bazooka (hence the name). The blunt took a week to complete and was filled with 5 pounds of weed. On the other hand, it took about 4 hours to smoke it at an anniversary party hosted by a Los Angeles dispensary.
Interesting Facts About the Marijuana Industry
44. At the moment, $52.5 billion is the demand for legal and illegal marijuana in the US.
To really understand the financial seriousness of marijuana’s impact, think about marijuana vs cigarettes facts. When marijuana becomes fully legal one day, it will probably be sold more than tobacco cigarettes (and we have already told you what happened with beer).
45. The biggest tax rates on marijuana are in Washington.
Washington holds the first place with its 47.1%, whereas the bottom of the list belongs to Maine (10%). However, this does not necessarily mean Washington has the highest prices.
46. The marijuana industry has opened new, original jobs and is increasing employment rate rapidly.
Marijuana facts and statistics for 2020 predict the marijuana industry will have created 250,000 new jobs. The number of jobs increased by 445% in 2017, which is much larger than the tech or health care sector. Some of them may be vacancies for budtenders, budtrimmers, master extractors, etc. Budtenders are shop assistants selling you the desired dose, while budtrimmers cut off the undesired leaves from a marijuana plant.
47. Women are more successful in the marijuana business than in other industries.
Girl power facts about marijuana tell us that women in the marijuana industry held 36% executive positions in 2017. Compared to the others, this is more than double. In other industries, female leaders account for only 15%.
48. You can have your marijuana delivered via an app.
(Medical Marijuana Inc.)
We have started using cell phone applications for a variety of things in our everyday lives, so now it is even easier to have your daily/weekly dose delivered. This helps fight illegal marijuana suppliers, too.
49. Facts about marijuana use suggest 40% of marijuana in Colorado is sold illegally.
Despite the legalization, the marijuana black market in Colorado is very much active. One of the reasons is that not everybody wishes to be seen paying a visit to a dispensary. Moreover, Colorado is supplying weed to the rest of the country where marijuana is still illegal.
50. There are more marijuana dispensaries than McDonald’s and Starbucks shops in Colorado.
Obviously, if you don’t know where to invest your money and you wish to enter the marijuana industry, starting your business in Colorado would be the right move. There are about 500 dispensaries in total.
There are plenty more fascinating marijuana facts out there, but we tried to pick out those that are absolutely astounding. To sum things up, marijuana is a fantastic plant species. It has been with us for centuries, though we are still learning how to make the most of it.
Now would be the time to harness the power of technology by analyzing the species’ ultimate benefits for us, changing the federal law, and giving marijuana a place in our lives that it fully deserves.
Marijuana or cannabis is definitely the talk of the century. To this end, marijuana facts are becoming general knowledge rather than specific niche curiosities.