Niacin Flush Detox Method
With drug testing beginning to rise in popularity as a workplace standard, people are starting to look for more and more efficient ways to quickly cleanse their bodies of substances that could make them test positive. Taking niacin has long been a known detox method, but its effectiveness has always been a topic of debate.
Table of Contents
- What is Niacin?
- What Is Niacin Flush Method?
- Does Niacin Flush Method Work?
What Niacin Is
Niacin, otherwise known as Vitamin B3 is compound naturally found in a human body that serves the purpose of metabolizing carbohydrates. When it comes to niacin for drug testing, it is usually talked about niacin pills that can be bought in pretty much any pharmacy.
Niacin pills are usually used as a dietary supplement for people who are suffering from high cholesterol levels or low niacin levels, but it is also often used to increase the health of skin, hair and eyes. A niacin pill has around 500mg of niacin in it and the recommended daily dose is up to 2000mg, to prevent the occurrence of negative side effects.
Negative Side Effects of Niacin Pills
- Skin flushing
- Burning sensation
- Reddening of skin
- Skin lesions or hives
Niacin flush is a method that has been argued to allow a person to successfully clear out traces of metabolites from their body in a shorter amount of time than usual. This is done by increasing the rate at which body breaks down fats, which is where metabolites usually tend to deposit, which in turn allows the person to pass the drug test even though just a short period of time has passed since their last drug use.
The problem with this method is that niacin pills have varying levels of effectiveness from person to person, depending on their height and weight, as well as their metabolism rate. People with higher than average body fat content have reported this method to fail more often than people with lower body fat content.
Another thing to note about this method is that it is not a miracle solution like some people claim and that it has to be done over a period of time, preferably 2 – 5 days for maximum efficiency. This is due to the fact that niacin is very hard on one’s liver and taking large amounts of it (more than 500mg) at once poses a serious health risk.
On the other hand, if the person using this method properly spaces out their dosage (500mg or one pill every 6 hours for 3 or more days) and hydrates plentifully, they pass the drug test in 80% of the reports.
If Taking Niacin Pills
- Always space them out at least 5 hours to prevent overdosing.
- Drink a lot of water, preferably two full glasses with every pill. Also drink as much water, fruit juice, sports drinks or caffeinated drinks during the day, but be careful not to overhydrate oneself.
- Abstain from drugs and alcohol, to prevent negating the effect of niacin pills.
- Eat light meals and stay away from fatty foods.
Does Niacin Flush Work?
Despite the fact that many people claim that this method does not work, it usually stems from the fact that the amount of time that the pills were taken for was not sufficient. Taking a large dose of niacin pills in a short period of time, just before a drug test, often cause serious health problems then help pass said test. Only by giving it time will this method have the expected effect without the negative consequences.
- Jacobson T. A. A “Hot” Topic in Dyslipidemia Management—“How to Beat a Flush”: Optimizing Niacin Tolerability to Promote Long-term Treatment Adherence and Coronary Disease Prevention. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2010; 85(4): 365–379. doi:10.4065/mcp.2009.0535. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2848425/.
- Kamanna V. S., Ganji S. H., Kashyap M. L. The mechanism and mitigation of niacin-induced flushing. International Journal of Clinical Practice. 2009; 63(9): 1369–1377. doi:10.1111/j.1742-1241.2009.02099.x. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2779993/.
Find rehabs in your state
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Calls to our general hotline may be answered by private treatment providers.
We may be paid a fee for marketing or advertising by organizations that can assist with treating addictions.
Taking niacin pills has been a heavily debated method to pass a drug test for a long time. Here are some of the tips on it.